Just like with music, lighting is a vital part of a party’s atmosphere. Bright stage lights would be weird during an intimate date night dinner at home…. and low lights would be just as awkward during a large birthday party.
Major lighting changes are hard to make with out buying new lamps, or re-wiring light switches to dimmer switchs (although dimmer switches are REALLY COOL!). However, you can certainly alter the mood of the room with a few minor changes….
To create low light:
- Put a thin scarf over lamps to darken the light (Possible fire hazard, so please only do this with CFLs or LEDs, they do not get hot!)
- Use candles, or flameless candles around your event’s area to give light, but not bright bold light.
- Use side lamps, rather than over head lights, this way lighting is coming from the side, and not from over head.
- Keep colors of décor darker.
To create “high” light:
- If it’s a sunny day, open up all the blinds, curtains, and window treatments that you can! Its FREE light!!
- Use White Light bulbs, it creates a “brighter” feel
- Use bright colors or white for décor colors, they won’t take away from the “bright light”
Note: I tried SO HARD to get pictures of lighting for this post, however I totally failed! Here is what happened: